Brenda Sweeney Presentation


Brenda's visit with our PR class was one of the first major attention-grabbing events I've experienced at Mohawk. Hearing first-hand from someone who has explored so many corners of the field was eye-opening and continued to spark my interest in public relations.

She spoke with a confidence that could only come with experience. Part of that experience was her ongoing presence in the Canadian Public Relations Society. Between the CPRS and the IABC, I've come to understand that these are the two prominent public relations associations to keep an eye on. Brenda thoroughly explained the benefits to joining the CPRS not only on a personal level, but on a level that benefits the public relations field in general.

I was delighted to learn that the CPRS is, in part, a voluntary membership organization. As I intend to volunteer with either the CPRS or the IABC in the future, this was a helpful bit of information. What excited me most were the networking opportunities Brenda explained were available through the CPRS. As an organization brimming with public relations professionals, I became eager to meet-and-greet with people who I could potentially work with one day.

As her presentation took place relatively early in the semester, many of us (myself included) were still scratching our heads over which public sectors are ideal for pursuing a career in public relations. Although my answer to that question is still not entirely concrete, Brenda’s insight cleared-up a great deal of the self-inflicted confusion I found myself in. She explained that the healthcare sector is currently prominent in public relations. As a fresh student ready to dive-in to the PR world, any opportunity is a good opportunity.

Not only did Brenda elaborate on which public sectors are most ideal for public relations, she indirectly told us that public relations is truly everywhere. While some sectors may have a greater demand, almost every corporation, association and organization is in need of some kind of public relations. If they intend to connect with the public, they had best hit the PR gym and do a few laps. The variety of opportunities she spoke of generated a great deal of interest and re-assured me that public relations is a career field I can have confidence in.

I’m grateful for the opportunity to speak with Brenda and look forward to meeting with her again in the future.

Brandon Westman

Comments