United Way Fundraising project


It’s never easy asking for money. And it certainly isn’t any easier asking students for money.

But this past semester’s Organizational Application’s fundraising project not only taught me some valuable lessons about planning and running a successful fundraising campaign, but the satisfaction of the end result.

I had the privilege of working on the Mohawk College United Way campaign alongside some experienced and committed faculty members. I’ve been familiar with the Unite Way for a number of years after having written articles for the Brantford campaign during my time as a reporter. Their services and programs are so numbered and have made extensive changes to the communities it serves and the people who live in them.

In a group, my fellow classmates and I listed what we believed to be appropriate events that would raise awareness and funds but also appeal to a student aged demographic. Selling LCBO gift certificates, handing out candy for spare change and piggy backing off other established events were some of the fundraising efforts we initiated. The planning process, though the most fun, was also an eye opener. With planning, follows proposals and a number of other factors required for consideration including space, time, and money.

With the month-long project complete, I previousl mentioned two valuable lessons learned – one being that fundraising takes planning and another, that it’s a satisfactory gig. In addition to the fulfilled experience, I also realised that I enjoy and greatly respect the not-for-profit aspect of Public Relations. Although the opportunities in this industry are endless and numbered, I’m drawn to that of not-for-profit organizations at this time for the idea of giving back to a community.

Thanks to the trials and tribulations of the fundraising project, the road to my next big step in my young PR career may have gotten a little bit narrower.   


Comments