Viewing Public Relations from the Visually Impaired Perspective




It is not unlike life to confront us with challenges every so often. However, for a visually impaired person these challenges crop up more often then not. Big challenges – like completing a post-secondary education. Small challenges – like watching for a green light from across the street. And of course, everything that falls in between. As I’ve grown up I’ve learned that it’s not the challenges themselves that stand in the way, it is how you adapt to them. Being visually impaired isn’t a disability – it’s a lifestyle!
So I’m pursuing a Public Relations program at Mohawk College. Yep, I’m a student again! After I graduated from the Financial Services program in 2012, I thought my college days were long behind me. But life has a way of presenting opportunities. And being typical Lara, I went for it! I’m so happy I did. I absolutely love it! Not to say that sitting across from a couple at their kitchen table and convincing them to sign with you isn’t a thrilling career path, but it’s not fulfilling enough for me. I want to be where the action is! And most importantly, I want to make a substantial difference in the lives of many. But of course, nobody ever accomplishes anything worthwhile without struggle and setbacks. And this is where those vicious challenges come into play.
When you are visually impaired, problematic situations come up extremely often. Typically if the problem is reoccurring - like watching for a green light – then I already have an alternative. In that case, the solution is usually the same - follow traffic patterns instead. I can’t see the light but I can definitely see big moving objects! Although when it comes to new, unfamiliar situations, finding a solution takes time – and time is something that is scarce in the PR industry. When there is a crisis that needs to be addressed within hours, it’s important for any PR professional to focus on the emergency at hand. Time shouldn’t be spent having to adjust the accessibility options on my specialized computer, or learn to navigate in a new building, or a new area of the city, or a new city altogether. I don’t drive so I can imagine having to travel around in a minimal amount of time ill pose as another obstacle. I can understand that all workplaces are accommodating to some degree, but the industry of public relations doesn’t allow much room to cut me some slack. Fortunately, one advantage to being visually impaired is that I’ve had to learn how to be both creative and resourceful. Luckily, these are two very sought-after qualities in a good PR professional! 

Graphic design – a huge aspect to public relations! For me, having to scrutinize over details and the subtle differences in colour would be nearly impossible. I am already seeing big hurdles as I work my way through the Print & Design course this semester. To be successful in PR, I will no doubt rely on my creative and resourceful ways to get me through the unanswered solution to the graphic design riddle. If not, I can always resort to Plan B – delegate, delegate, delegate!
Since graduating in 2012, I’ve been working in the business world as a financial advisor. And wow.... the things that I’ve learned and the challenges that I’ve faced being a brand-new professional, not to mention a visually impaired professional. The game takes on a whole new complexity. Situations like reading a person’s facial expression to see whether the conversation is effective or if you need to switch gears, or acknowledging an acquaintance waving at you from across the room, or reading someone’s name tag at a networking event. And there is the occasional person that comes along who learns of your circumstance and then questions your capabilities as a professional. Considering that public relations is such a business-oriented career, I imagine I will continue to face many, if not, all of the challenges I am currently facing in my career as an advisor.
So that’s a lot. Why continue?
Because I’ve never enjoyed anything more than what I am doing right now in the PR program. It is fast-paced, and exciting, and powerful! And all of these elements make the obstacles seem meager. A friend shared a quote with me recently that really resonated. “Start with the end in mind”. If I stay focused, everything else will fall in to place. As they say, if there is a will, there is a way!!!!

Comments

  1. Kudos to you, Lara. There is a lot to be said for the strength of the human spirit. Drive and determination is what makes people successful. Ultimately we really only have ourselves to rely on to get what we want and need in life. You have the kind of vision that really matters and your vision is clearer than you think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment