Rolling with the Punches

Just over one month ago I was surprised to find myself enrolled as an intern at MAVERICK Inc. I say surprised because to be honest I was not really looking to become an intern so early into my postgrad PR education. There was many reason why I wasn't looking, mainly because I felt like I had a lot of time to get it done. I am not a procrastinator by any stretch, however it felt like I just walked in Mohawk's doors, now I was walking out of them into real world PR.

I was never one to shy away from something new or challenging so I wasn't nervous to be thrown into the PR world, I was rather excited. The particular reason I was brought on so quickly was because MAVERICK had won the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair as a client. They quickly realized the immensity of the task and decided that they needed help. This is where I came in. My dad used to be a client of MAVERICK so I had a quick in to becoming their guy. The adventure with the Royal and MAVERICK began as I assume all internships begin, orientation, small amounts of supervised writing, and client calls. I was fascinated in simply being inside a functioning agency, seeing how everyone worked together to achieve the goals of their clients, being the unsung heroes of a companies image. As November drew closer, along with it the fair, tensions grew higher. Requests from the fair grew, and the hours I was working did so also. I was working more and more and I could see my work in a finished product being released to the media. Also we had just finalized the assembling of volunteers to assist in the tasks that the fair would have. I was very excited to see the monster of a project with my own eyes.

Finally, October 31st, media preview day had arrived. 6:30am I am arriving from Hamilton at MAVERICK to go to Exhibition Place to invite media to get their sneak peek at what the fair will offer this year. We are prepped and ready, speakers in place, displays in view, animals milling about. Then we get some interesting news... The Toronto Police release a statement that they have the Rob Ford video of him smoking crack. 90 percent of the media that was going to be involved with the media preview day either up and left or did not show. Apparently Mayor Ford's scandal took the limelight on this one, oh well. This did not mean that we were going to tap out and cancel, far from it. The tour that was given to the media that decided to stick around went off with out a hitch. Sandra Banks (CEO of the Royal), Guy Mclean (Australian horse whisperer), Bob Blumer (Celebrity Chef and TV host) and more all were excellent in touring and answering questions for eager media. However, very exciting for me was setting up an interview for CBC's Heather Hiscox. She was the first person from the media that I recognized from TV. She was a wonderful lady, she was very interested in who I was, what my role was and my life as an intern/student. She remembered my name when talking to me later and asked for me personally when she needed something during an interview. Needless to say, I was a happy camper. Not going to lie, I may have texted my mom about it while it was happening. I remembered while at MAVERICK that the moments that make all your hard work worth it is seeing the interview happen that you set up, now I know what they were talking about. Other large scale media outlets came in and did interviews with different exhibitors and eventers and all in all the media preview day was a success. I'd say we as a group rolled through that punch well.

Opening day, November 1, once again, bright and early. More interviews to arrange and live broadcasts to happen. Everything was similar to media preview day, except I learned how much of a pain it is for a camera to be wired in... babysitting a cable is rather dull. Moments before the fair is going to open to the public a rather large punch comes our way. For reasons I am not going to disclose, MAVERICK is no longer to be working on the Royal. The only person from MAVERICK who was to be working for the Royal was yours truly. Now, instead of being just an intern who would be just one step above the volunteers in responsibility and organization of tasks, was elevated to being in charge of the media office. This was a monster of a job normally tackled by at least a couple trained PR professionals. However, I kept calm and carried on, with a smiling face of confidence I said fair well to my MAVERICK coworkers and got busy orienting myself with what my next 10 days would entail. Also, I had 20 volunteers arriving sporadically throughout the week and now it was my responsibility to find them jobs to do. Since I am merely an unpaid intern for the former PR company I don't have much in terms of authority. However, I was not about to have these volunteers come into this and not receive so much as a lick of experience gained. So with every person from the media that arrived I interviewed them seeing what type of coverage they were looking for an if they needed assistance, desperately trying to get my volunteers experience is setting up interviews or simply seeing what goes on behind the scenes. I believe that I have done a fairly  good job in performing this task, however, I know that the expectation did not match the reality for those that volunteered. Also to my surprise, the amount of volunteers that were no shows was staggering. I am a man of principle and my word is my bond. I never understood saying you'll do something and blatantly disregarding it. But that is the extent of my no-show rant.

The weekend goes by with minimal hiccups, only a few 12-14 hour shifts, but I had great support from the royal staff and MAVERICK via text messages. Emails being forwarded to me allow for me to set up interviews and direct media around. One particular request turned out to be more than expected. The Weather Network had requested permission and assistance in the filming of 17 one minute segments. No problem. I sent some volunteers and went myself to find 17+ people who would be willing to be interviewed by the Weather Network from approximately 3:30pm to 6:30pm. I'm feeling pro and in control by the time that they show up. They arrive, are very friendly, and then give me a little surprise. All of the interviews are live, if that wasn't surprise enough, they were every 10 minutes. So without a stutter I am on the phone trying to organize a plan of action to be able to navigate the 1'000'000 square feet fair and ensure that the coverage they got was ample and entertaining. I believe that I was a success. With the help of my trusted cellphone and a long list of very flexible interviewees I was able to get the reporter doing her segments in many interesting ways. I got her up on a mechanical bull, among many different animals, feeding a lamb, shearing a sheet, and atop a 2'000lbs percheron, along with many other things. In the end it went really well and the Weather Network was really pleased. This moment was the proudest of myself during my internship so far, mainly because it was all me, start to finish. Once again, I may or may not have texted my mom about it.

So here I sit, in the media office, hoping I get another visit from my new lamb friend. Most would see this dilemma as a very black cloud however I see the silver lining. I have gained invaluable experience, expanded my portfolio, broadened my network, and have gained a reputation of being a dependable, hardworking, lifesaving worker.

I'll continue to roll with the punches

all the best

Ben


   

Comments

Post a Comment