The differences between University and Mohawks PR program

Having come to Mohawk's PR program via Brock University where I completed a degree in History, I was really excited to finally get to learn some actual skills that would help me land a job. I cant say that I didnt learn a lot from University because I did, but most of it was of little use to me when it came time to find a job. Doing page after page of essays on why revolutions were good or why such and such did this and that was only good for conversation with other like minded geeks. Employers care very little for any of that stuff, they only care what you can offer the company through actual skills which is what has brought me to Mohawks PR program.

My experience with the program thus far is very different than what I had experienced in University. I feel like I am actually learning job related skills in the program that will help qualify me for a job. Skills such as writing product releases, announcement releases, business writing, event planning, designing marketing plans etc all skills I have learned in this program that will help me in the future.

After University I had spent time working in factories as I had had a lot of experience working manual labour jobs such as construction, warehouse workers and jobs of similar physical demand as it was all I was qualified for. Even with a degree under my belt all I could qualify for were physically demanding jobs such as the ones I listed.

For me this has been the main difference between the two schools. After completing University I was left hopeless when searching for work. The PR program at mohawk though has left me feeling enthused about my future job prospects and leaves me excited for graduation.



Comments