My Experience of Interviewing a Journalist

One of the experiences I had while I was in this program was an assignment in which I had to interview a journalist.  When I was first presented with the project I became very nervous at the idea of interviewing a distinguished journalist in the field.  What if I can’t find a journalist to call me back? What if they are impatient with me? What if I froze in the middle of the call and didn’t know what to say?  I also was very unsure as to what the purpose of the assignment was and what I was supposed to be getting out of the experience.  Well in the end I realized that there is a lot to gain from this experience and I’ll tell you why. 

Throughout this program so far, we have been taught the importance of building good relationships and the importance of networking in Public Relations.  Our future job will be to communicate with particular audiences on behalf of an organization to help build stronger relationships between the two.  One of the most effective and important ways we do this is through our contacts with the media.  This means that journalists become very important figures in this process, since we may have to talk to them on a variety of subjects and provide information to them about the organization we are representing. We have to get used to the idea of talking to people we may not know, even though they may intimidate us or we may be nervous, because this will be a part of our job in the future.  Also, It is never too early to start networking for future contacts, and this is why I believe that this project is a very important one in our program.

So, I went out of my comfort zone and actually ended up interviewing two journalists because I felt that this was the perfect opportunity to start networking as I mentioned earlier.  This was not necessary at all, but I figured that it wouldn’t hurt to reach out to an additional journalist in the Hamilton community so that I have more connections in the future.  One of the journalists was from CBC Hamilton and one was from The Hamilton Spectator.  I actually found that although they are working from different places, their experiences and thoughts about the profession were very similar, and were both very happy to take the time to talk with me and answer my questions. They were both very welcoming and kind and made the experience really fun overall.  I got to practice my interviewing skills as well as do a little bit of networking for the future.



One thing that is really important to consider before you take on this assignment is that journalists are very busy people.  They have deadlines that they have to meet on a variety of projects.  When you do find someone to interview, remember that they are taking time out of their very busy day to help you out, so respect that, and be prompt.  One of the journalists I ended up interviewing was only available to conduct the interview within the same minute of me initially contacting her.  It is very helpful to already be prepared for the interview before you even start contacting journalists because of circumstances like the one I had.  

            After the project was finished, and after having a discussion with other classmates on their experiences, it seems that I was not the only one who had initial concerns about the assignment.  However, in the end it became clear that everyone felt that the experience was very beneficial and rewarding overall.  Some people felt that the contacts they made are ones that they will continue to stay in contact with in the future when needing a contact with the media.  Some also felt that by breaking out of their shell and being forced into a situation that they were not completely comfortable with, it has made them more prepared for the ‘real world’ in their future careers. 

In the end I realized that interviewing a journalist was not as scary of a process as I thought it was going to be.  Although I did have to do something that was a little out of my comfort zone, the skills that I gained from the experience outweigh the little bit of anxiety I had when initially dialling the phone.


Then it is time to congratulate yourself on a job well done!

Sincerely,
Alley  

Comments