Hill and Knowlton vs Citizen

Last week my classmates and I got the privilege of seeing two PR agencies in Toronto.  I think I can speak for everyone when I say we didn't know what exactly to expect, but enjoyed the different styles of both agencies. The agencies were at both opposite ends of the spectrum in my opinion, we got to see what an agency environment was really like.

The first stop we made was to Hill and Knowlton. It was a very prestigious agency. They have many agencies globally and are well known. Personal testimonies by consultants were made, and everyone was intrigued with what was said. I liked the fact that the consultants that did share their stories all started somewhere different, and work in different aspects of the agency.  That shows how versatile H&K is. Everyone was very informative and gave us lots to think about. It was nice that they wanted to know what we (the students) wanted to know. H&K does take one intern at a time. This would definitely benefit the individual as they could potentially have the guidance from anyone in the agency and have all their attention.




We then made our way to Citizen. Citizen was a more relaxed/easy going environment. I was impressed with the layout and liked the idea of having different firms in one office area. That may have something to do with their much success. Everyone at citizen was more than happy to share stories with us and give us a tour of their workspace.  Citizen provides up to eight spots for internships, I think that is great for students to experience that together and share how they feel about their time at the agency.


Both agencies provided a great learning experience and made me feel inspired. As students I think its important to see a glimpse of what the work world is like, and give an idea of what we are to expect. Since the agencies were different it helped to decide what kind of environment one would like to work in. H&K and Citizen provide growth within their companies which is always something to work towards as we are soon starting our careers.
Overall it was a great day and lots was learnt!

Comments