Student Engagement with the CPRS

 
 
 
 
When I was given the opportunity to be a part of the Student Committee for the CPRS and sit on the board of directors, I jumped on the opportunity immediately. I thought to myself, "This will be so exciting! I'll be able to get everyone in my class out to the events, everyone will be so engaged, and they'll be so thankful that they joined the CPRS."

Unfortunately, things don't always work out the way you plan. For example, when I thought that all 38 of my classmates would jump on the opportunity of a discounted student membership rate for the CPRS, and then they didn't. The reality is that:
  • 8 students in my class are members of the CPRS.
  • 6 of them came to the free CPRS student networking event.
  • 2 came to the professional development event.
  • 1 is registered to attend the holiday event.

I can't help but ask myself, what am I doing wrong? Is it me? Is it the events? Why don't more students care?

My role with the CPRS is to foster student engagement and plan the student events. I report to Nadine Nock, student liaison representative, and I work alongside Connor McAlpine, the student committee representative from Sheridan College. Together, we are tackling the challenging issue of student engagement.

I believe that a lack of engagement is a general quality of the Millennial generation. Millennials like convenience- they like things to be fast, free, and easy to access. Millennials like details- they like to be able to paint a picture in their mind of what to expect, and know exactly what they're getting into. Millennials are self-serving- they like to know what the benefits are to them, and how it will help them achieve their goals. Knowing all of these things, it is now my job to ensure that the CPRS events appeal to the Millennials as much as they possibly can.

The CPRS has so much to offer it's members. Students could benefit so much from being a member, as long as they take that first step to get involved. After that, we can easily make their membership worth their while.



To end off, here are the benefits of a CPRS student membership:
  • $30 student membership and first year renewal rate (compared to the full membership rate of $373.80)
  • Mentor program to improve your PR skills
  • Career development through seminars, workshops and courses
  • Pint Sized Social Media, held each month with discussions on current PR topics
  • Networking with PR practitioners, journalists, and business owners
  • Opportunity to be published in the CPRS blog
    - 30% off UPS services
  • Pinacle Awards for the Student Award of Excellence
  • Torchia Scholarship
  • Public Relations Knowledge (PRK) exam for students
  • Opportunities for future board positions
  • Access internal job postings
  • Member of a recognized professional society
To become a member of the CPRS Hamilton Chapter, click here:
http://cprs-hamilton.ca/memberships/how-to-apply-renew/

I'm looking forward to seeing students at the CPRS Holiday Humbug next week, and I'm sure that the event will meet all of their expectations.


Comments