College vs. University --> Why PR is Better



There is one simple reason why College is better than University and that is:

Students actually use what they are being taught in college as a way to prepare for the workforce.

This is the case for the Mohawk Public Relations Post-Graduate Program.

It has been four years since my education has provided me with valuable information that I can take, process, and actually use outside of the classroom, This is a result of my enrolment in the Public Relations Post-Graduate Program.



I earned at Degree in English at McMaster University, and what I have taken out of my overall university experience is less than what I have taken out of my first semester in the Public Relations Post-Graduate Program at Mohawk College.

I find college to be a better learning environment and a much more engaging atmosphere than University. This can be demonstrated through the smaller classroom learning style. (I can actually see the facial expressions of my Professor which allows for interactive class discussion whereas, university classrooms resemble auditoriums).

College provides the individual with the practical knowledge that he/she needs as a prerequisite before they step out into the workforce. In University, the material being taught is much more theoretical and as a result the individual is less likely to utilize the skills he/she was taught in university for their everyday job.

For example, within the last week (before winter break) we have been presenting various final group projects. The "IMC (Integrated Marketing Communications) Plan" was an individual presentation while, "Analyze a Brand," "Using Social Media Effectively", and our "Fundraiser" assignments were all group presentations. With each presentation I have grown more confident in myself and my ideas and I am less nervous before every presentation. I am now more eager to complete presentations.

I am glad that I chose to complete this Public Relations Post-Graduate Program. I feel that Public Relations is an overall good fit for individuals that wish to express their own ideas through strategic planning and writing. It will always keep me on my toes and allow for me to be creative for whatever path I choose, whether it be for a non-profit organization, or for a private corporation.

Either way, it is important to note that the college institution engages the student through a time-consuming school-work schedule. University ensures that students will complete large assignments that make up a large part of the student's overall grade. College requires that students come to class and learn the in-class material because it will be essential for their upcoming assignments. When completing these assignments, students can actually take the practical skills they learned from them and apply it in the workforce.

Moreover, the overall effectiveness of college as an institution should be re-evaluated because I believe it is highly underestimated.

By Tessa Cozzi


Comments