How PR Can Be About More Than Just a Job

When I first started the public relations program at Mohawk College, I worried that I might be restricting myself too much in my future career. See I feared that by going through the program and completing it, I might close myself off to future opportunities in business and the future that could take me in directions that I might find more interesting. As the first semester of the two semester program wraps up, I realize that this couldn't be farther from the truth.

Throughout the year Tim Tuck has taught us a plethora of public relations knowledge, from media relations, to strategies and tactics to simple writing skills that might pass most people by. As I've listened and learned these new things, I've realized that each one of them could be used in different ways.

I could use what I learned as PR student to become a marketer or advertiser. I could use the skills I've learned as a communicator to move into the business world and work to help employees understand management more. I've learned that I could use the skills I'm being taught to work for almost any job in my future and it would be applicable. And one more thing; The skills I'm being taught don't need to be restricted to my career aspirations or trajectory. The skills I'm learning can serve me in my personal life as well.

One of the projects Tim has us involved in is a project on blogging. It details the specifics of hwo to blog, how to monitor it and so much more. But the biggest aspect is it showed me that my personal interests could be shaped in a brand of me, and my skills as a PR communicator could be used to further that brand THROUGH my blog.



My interest in hockey could be directly tied to my brand as PR communicator. I could use a personal blog on hockey to show how my writing skills were top notch to prospective employers, but also show them a part of who I am outside what my resume says. Cool right?

And what's more is it doesn't have to stop there. I could use the skills to help serve the organizations I volunteer with. See the above video? That's an Australian Student Support Network that has made its way over to Canada, one that I now volunteer a lot of my time too help grow and serve in. I can now use my PR knowledge learned at the Mohawk program to help further the Red Frogs organization as a whole. And I think that's really awesome.

PR a Mohawk, not just for my career. Now you know too.







Comments