PR: Political Relations

                Early on in the year, the Public Relations Graduate Program at Mohawk College had the pleasure of having some IABC (International Association of Business Communicators) members come and speak to the class.

                We were spoken to by IABC member Kevin Vallier, who told us the normal information about any organization, meetings, transferability, movability and flexibility of the rules. Also the benefit of

However there was the one who stuck the most with me was not the Gift of Communication event held by the IABC (Which was amazing to be part of) nor the student pricing of IABC membership, but one phrase that I have long lived by: Get involved politically.

                While Canada may seem like a vast wasteland I can personally tell you it is not. While it may seem like getting anything done politically is impossible it is not. Which is not wholly true, if you don’t participate it is impossible to do anything, regardless of the subject.

                While I was growing up, my parents took the political approach and did not tell me how they voted. Ever. Literally. I wish I could do the same thing with my children when I have them, but I seriously doubt I am up to that challenge! Eventually after I started volunteering with my great Member of Parliament I started to gain an opinionated view of the world, seeing right from wrong and wanting to help change it for the better. I joined boards and committees and even took on a few leadership roles. I enjoyed them all, met people who are already in the communications industry, which I have found out after the fact, and gained such a large knowledge base that I had issues on picking what to do this blog about!

                When it comes down to it, I think that one should communicate their ideas to others. That one should pick a side and play, because you cannot win if you are not on the field.

                At the first student outside event from our program, the next person in the door after myself was someone I had met politically years before. Canada is not vast, nor is Ontario. If you get involved now, you have no idea the far reaching effects of your message. And you never know where you might end up.




Comments