Pressures of PR: How to Deal

Being the youngest of four and being constantly called "the baby", I became very dependent on many people other than myself and I relied heavily on my family to succeed. After graduating McMaster University, it's safe to say I was a lost soul looking for a new adventure. I tried to find my adventure in Australia and even though it was an insanely cool experience, I was still searching for something more. I found this in Mohawk College's Public Relations program and it's safe to say this course offers so much more than industry knowledge.

Public relations is challenging, difficult, stressful but most of all it is rewarding. This blog is dedicated to future students on how to manage and handle all the PR related stress and dominate in everything you put your mind to. Follow these simple rules to make it in the industry and kick some serious butt!

Deadlines are your frenemies

Deadlines can definitely be categorized as a frenemy because they are evil at times but you can't live without them. Deadlines are set for a reason... for you to meet them, not to sit on your calendar and go unnoticed. If you get into the habit of missing deadlines you will not get back on track and you won't accomplish your goals. It's simple as that. Set your deadlines, meet them and you'll have a greater chance of success and a lower chance of unnecessary stress.

Organization is key!

It's safe to say that before the PR program my agendas were shoved into the desk, never to see the light of day. If deadlines are your frenemies, agendas are your BFFL a.k.a best friend for life. That little agenda will pull you through some of the busiest weeks of your life while reminding you of your social obligations and financial responsibilities. I advise investing in a handsome/pretty agenda that you enjoy looking at because you will be seeing A LOT of it. If you don't have photographic memory ensure you look at your up coming weeks at least three times a day. Your agenda is not your only method of organization because a wall and desk calendar are necessary for daily reminders. You might think this is extreme but I ensure you there will be deadlines that go unnoticed. Don't fret, brush it off, pull up your socks and get back at it!

Organization must haves:
  • Agenda
  • White board
  • Desk Calendar
  • Post-Its
  • Colorful pens/dry erase markers (to make the above items pretty)
  • Binder with dividers
Be a Time Management Champion

As a PR student I have seen time management make and break people. If you cannot manage your time wisely you will find being successful very difficult. You are given plenty of time to finish your tasks but if you let procrastination get the best of you, your tasks won't be completed. Last minute homework sessions won't give you enough time to complete your assignments and client work. Be a time management champion so you can be a successful public relations practitioner.

 
Don't be intimidated by a fast paced environment, instead let it teach you how to change for the better. I am proud to say that my Kate Spade agenda was worth the money and doesn't leave my side. I no longer fear multiple deadlines but look at them as an opportunity for growth. This program has taught me so much about the PR industry and has also helped me become a more organized individual that can handle stress much better than before. It's okay to cry and be angry when it becomes too much, just know when to set it all aside and jump back in when your ready. This program is an amazing opportunity that is filled with beautiful people, and intelligent professors. I have learned more these past few months than I have my whole life and I feel more confident due to my new knowledge. I never thought I would say this but I look forward to becoming a successful business woman that can take my new knowledge into the real world. Just remember if your attentive to deadlines, stay organized and manage your time success will be far easier to achieve.

Comments