"What are you taking at Mohawk?"…"Public Relations, what's that?"…"What kind of job can you get?"

WHAT IT TAKES TO GET A JOB

Although this is one of the first discussions we learn about in class, it has also become one of the most important.  As our first term in the public relations program winds down, my main thoughts revolve around job opportunities. During this last week, I have talked to numerous friends and family that have been asking me what public relations really is. However, their main question of interest really lies with "what kind of job can you get?" These questions are very important because people are very quick to judge. 

Over the years of being in school I have learned something that others may not yet know. School is a stepping stone for your career but school alone does not land you a job. Good marks do not land you a job. So when I ask someone politely what program they are in (I really don't care for their reply), all I care about is what they tell me after their reply. My interests are what job they can land from their school studies. "I am in the chemical nuclear biodegradable blah blah blah program." Awesome job for you my friend and I'm sure you will do well with it, but don't act like your better than anybody here for one moment. 

The thing I have learned over the years is that social relations is one of the key characteristics in landed your dream job. Just because you are qualified for something and your marks are great, it does not mean you have the job. I have worked my entire life since grade nine high school, University, and now in my Public Relations graduate program. I would never go back and change a thing. Here is the secret, the working world is far more different from the school world. Anybody who works full time will tell you that. People who know what it means to have responsibility and a job to do or a task to complete will agree. Now that this background information is out of the way, let's get into the fun part. 



WHAT IS PR AND WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH IT

I was like everyone else at one point, wondering what the hell I want to do for the rest of my life. After high school, reality hits you pretty damn hard. All of the decisions you make shouldn't be taken lightly. After all, school isn't cheap. I owe it to my parents who have helped support me through the way financially. I owe it to them as well as myself to do well and find myself a job. 

Public Relations encompasses many things. In the most basic definition, Google defines PR as: the state of the relationship between the public and a company or other organization or a famous person. This definition alone does not to justice to what PR actually is. 

PR withholds the opportunity for people studying and learning about the industry for numerous job positions. In fact there are about eight job industries where a PR practitioner or professional can be based out of. This is the beauty of PR. 

These sectors are as follows:

- Corporations (26%)
- Non-profit/Charities (17%)
- PR firms/agencies (20%)
- Other (6%)
- Government (10%)
- Professional Services (2%)
- Education (13%)
- Self Employed (6%)

*These statistics are based on the 2013 edition of "Think Public Relations"* 


The list above is excited for someone like myself to see and analyze. It is exciting because I can learn about PR and not have to commit fully to one specific job just yet. I have the opportunity of choices on my side. My personal interests can still become a viable option for my career because PR IS SO VERSATILE. 




WHAT AM I REALLY TRYING TO SAY?

PR is an amazing program and I recommend it to anyone who likes to follow media and has awesome presentation skills and writing skills. It is a versatile industry that is also growing. 

School alone won't get you a job. It's a dog eat dog world out there. I hate to say it but reality is, everyone that you graduate with is a threat. That's not to say you can't be friends because connections within the PR industry is imperative. In translation it means, no one is going to hand you a job if you don't set a goal for yourself to achieve. If you really want something that bad, you will make it happen. 

My only goal now is to get an internship at a company that I would potentially want to work for. I want an internship that can lead to a job. I have been in both the school world and the working world and it's finally time to get a full-time job in the working world in a growing industry that has enormous opportunity. 




"A goal without a plan is just a wish"- Anonymous
"Perseverance is Priceless"-Albert Einstein 


By: Spencer Ryckman 

Twitter: @Spencer_Ryckman
LinkedIn: Spencer Ryckman 


Comments