Graphics to Communications

Wednesday November 11th, we all hopped on to a yellow school bus and headed down to Toronto for a tour of two different PR Agencies, I didn't really know what to expect but I was excited to ride a yellow school bus again! Surrounded by fraternity houses, located in a old heritage house was Maverick PR. Walking inside, it was absolutely nothing what I was expecting, it was "very Olivia Pope" as one of the employees started off the tour with (and that's pretty much what won me over, yay scandal!) everything looked very comfortable and not at all like a job place.  As we sat in a room( that had a giant bowl of candy and two bite brownies, yum) I started to fall in love with how everyone pretty much loved what they did and loved their job, listening to all the fun filled events that took place at work, like end of the month parties and closing early on Fridays it became very clear to me that this is an environment that I could work in.

The last stop of our field trip was to a Print house in North York. Coming from a Graphic design program and loving every second of the time we got to spend down in our little print lab, I thought for sure it would be interesting. I was so wrong. I found myself watching the clock and counting down until we could get back on the bus and head back to Hamilton. It's not that it wasn't interesting, don't get me wrong I feel that a lot of the other students found it interesting and cool and exciting. I found it very clear that a job in the print industry was no longer what I wanted.

The entire point of this post is basically me realizing that Graphic Design is a part of my past and even though I still use some of the things I learned now in PR, I really feel that a career in PR is for me, I mean what's better than basically being Olivia pope?

Comments