University vs. College




Entering Mohawk College, after completing a four year Communications Degree at McMaster University, I felt really prepared. I mean after all, I was entering college, this was going to be a walk in the park, right? 

Reality hit me on my first day when our teacher, Tim Tuck, went through the learning plan of one class. Just seeing the amount of assignments I would be doing for ONE class and my head was already spinning. When all was said and done, there was approximately 52 assignments and 24 quizzes for the term. Again. Just one term. Was it too late to drop out? 

Obviously I didn’t, or I wouldn’t be writing this blog post on the program. In all honesty, deciding to take this class was the smartest decision I’ve made academically. In university, at least my program, we got maybe a couple assignments per class. They were usually worth a big percentage, but all that really means was that for one or two nights out of the month, I was scrambling to put together my lecture notes and develop a half decent essay. There was no value in that because at the end of the day, I retained nothing. 

This program is the complete opposite. It’s designed to develop your time management skills. By having multiple assignments due each week, it forces you to stay on track. While it can be a little overwhelming at times, it actually allows you to retain information better because each assignment is based directly from the lecture. Another great thing about the program is that it’s designed to incorporate a lot of group. While being forced to work with multiple individuals with varying ideas can have its challenges, it’s also a fundamental part of learning. It really teaches you not only how to compromise but also how to collectively brainstorm and bring forward the best ideas for your client or project. 

In the end, we all want to see everyone succeed, and we’re all supporting each other, whether it be through fundraising events or projects on the side. Everyone in the class has different strengths and weaknesses, but we all work together because at the end of the day, we’re like a giant family. What started out as a quiet classroom of nervous individuals, blossomed into a crazy bunch of talented personalities.

Here’s to another great semester! 


Comments