IABC Gift of Communication




Each year the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) hosts the IABC Gift of Communication. The IABC Gift of Communication is an event where local not-for-profits who are facing communications challenges collaborate with communications professionals and students to work together and develop solutions.

This year I was lucky enough to participate in the event. The local not-for-profit I worked with was the Hamilton Literacy Council, an organization dedicated to assisting adults to improve their literacy skills. Some of the challenges the organization was facing included how to spread their message to a customer base that is non-and reluctant readers, as well as breaking down the stigma associated with needed help with literacy as an adult.



Working with an experienced communications professional and individuals from the organization I was able to learn new things, as well as take what I had been learning in the classroom and apply it to a real-life communications challenge. I think that my time at the IABC Gift of Communications was a valuable experience and I highly recommend it to future students who are offered the opportunity.



Comments