Fundraising Experience

            I never knew how much work goes into creating a fundraiser for a charity.  Maybe some of you have had experience with setting up events, but for me this was a first.  When we first got told we would be working with a client, I was very exciting yet nervous about meeting our client.  I was relieved to know that we would be able to use the agency to meet our client and from there on we would create a plan for a fundraiser.  I thought this would be easy, snap my fingers and it would all be done in no time.  But boy, was I wrong.



            My group and I had done some research on the Ronald McDonald House Charities South Central Ontario (RMHCSCO) just so we would be prepared to ask the appropriate questions when conducting our communications audit.  I’m not going to lie, I was terrified to meet our client, because I wanted to not seem unprepared and clueless (Note: I am a huge over-thinker).  Rest assured the meeting went well, and I could breathe again. 

            Something I’ve noted while interacting with our client is that you have to treat them like you would want to be treated.  You talk to them with respect, honesty, transparency and of course professionally.  I know this may seem like common sense, but sometimes you get overworked about how you will present yourself, and how you want to talk that you just forget the basics.  This is definitely something I’ve learned about this fundraiser and that is the interaction portion of working with a client.

            Another experience that I wanted to share was the expectations you have in the planning stages of a fundraiser.  I remember having this picture in my head of my group having a large event and people coming to it, and it becoming successful.  Maybe even the media would pick up the event!  However, the more we began to break down ideas, I began to realize … there are a lot of factors to consider.  Somethings we had to consider was HOW are we going to get people to come to our event.  As well as, asking the question … is social media really enough for an event?  Of course, learning what we’ve learned this semester, it’s clear that social media is only 1 strategy, and that it’s going to take more than 1 strategy to have a successful event.



            With all this set aside, working with RMHCSCO has really changed my perspective on charity fundraising.  They really do impact families in such a positive way.  It was one thing to hear about RMHCSCO from our client, but to actually go to the site and see everything for yourself is a whole other experience.  It was such a heartwarming and welcoming experience, that I was left in awe.  Before applying for this program, I had been vaguely aware of who RMHCSCO was and what they even did.  I had always heard of McHappy Day but never took the time to understand the cause.  Now that I have, I realize that with not just the charity I worked with but with any charity – they are all trying to make a difference for someone.


            I’m so appreciative of the fact that this program has allowed me to not only gain experience working with a client/fundraising project, but to really take the time to understand all the amazing organizations out there trying to make a difference.



Comments