The Importance of Internship/Co-op Opportunities in PR


If there is one thing you take away from this blog post, please let it be that getting the opportunity to do an internship opportunity in the field of communications and public relations will be a huge asset to you in your career. I am currently in the pursuit of finding a placement for my post graduate PR program at Mohawk College and I am hoping to find one in the music or entertainment industry.

In my third year at McMaster University I had the dream come true of doing a 4 month internship at North America's leading record company, Universal Music (Canada). My position was Communications Intern and I was given tasks such as daily press monitoring, music distribution to radio and press, administrative tasks and my favourite part of all, getting to shadow publicists on their press days with artists.

My boss, Shelley Fremont, is the Communications Director and she handles artists such as Justin Bieber, The Weeknd, Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift and many more. During my time at Universal, I had the opportunity to go on press days with Canadian band Dragonette, Disney Channel star Sabrina Carpenter and assist with The Weeknd's Toronto pop up shop. It was the most thrilling time as I got to watch their live interviews and performances on television and radio. I am very passionate about the music industry and this internship really taught me that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Getting this experience is something I will always carry with me as I learned so much and it will certainly help me grow in my career. It is truly awesome that Mohawk College's PR post graduate program requires a placement in order to graduate as this forces each student to go out in the real world and get such valuable experience before they embark on their careers. If any PR student has the opportunity to complete co-op/internship, please jump at it!


Comments