5 tips for finding a work placement!


 
Credit: https://www.snagajob.com/resources/i-need-to-find-a-job/

As the semester comes to an end, the countdown is on to find a work placement. I will admit that I underestimated how difficult this would be, and although I have not secured a placement yet, I have learned a lot from the experience of trying to do so. I want to share some of my struggles and tips for finding a work placement in hopes that it may help future students. 

 1. Start early!

I know that work placement requirements seem a little bit more relaxed than some might expect. Students have an entire school year (plus the 3 weeks following the end of classes) to complete the placement. This makes it feel as though you have all the time in the world, but this is not the case. Many students have part-time jobs, families to take care of, volunteering, and many other commitments that will affect the amount of time that can be dedicated to a placement. It is important to give yourself time to not only find the placement, but also to complete it. Therefore, I would recommend starting as early as possible. Even if that involves simply researching potential places. Getting a jump-start on this process will make it easier on you.


 2. Put yourself out there!

If you are anything like me, it can sometimes be hard to put yourself out there. The idea of emailing and calling random people can seem daunting, but it is important to do in order to secure a placement. Contacting professionals in the field may be intimidating, but you would be surprised at how many are willing to help students aspiring to be part of the PR field. Even if they are unable to offer a placement, many would be happy to share their experiences with you and give advice on how to be successful in the field. Putting yourself out there may not only find you a placement, but it can also expand your professional network.  

3. Keep your options open!

The image that many have when they think of PR is working in a big office, in a tall building, working with high end clients. This sect of PR is very appealing to students; however, these are not the only places looking to bring on PR interns. This does not mean that students should not apply to these places, especially it is an organization that interests them, but it is important to not limit oneself when applying. There are many smaller organizations and firms that would be willing to hire aspiring PR professionals and these places should not be overlooked. Any experience is valuable experience!

4. Learn from rejection!

I have sent out many emails to potential employers and I have also received many rejections. Some cannot offer a placement, others did not see me as a good fit for the company, and others have just said no. Out of the ones I have emailed, I have had only one interview and, unfortunately, I did not get the placement. Rejection can be discouraging, but it is important to learn from it. I always make sure to follow up these rejections with an email asking the employers what I did wrong, as well as any advice they could give me for future interviews. I also asked to meet with the PR professional to ask them for advice on pursuing a career in the field. Doing this, provides an opportunity to learn and grow. It also helps to build relationships will PR professionals; relationships that may be beneficial in the future.  

5.  Don’t give up!

It can be stressful and discouraging to keep looking for placements and not having luck in securing one. However, perseverance is key. If you keep putting yourself out there, you are bound to find a placement eventually. As for myself, I have an interview set for next week and it seems promising, but who knows what the future holds. I may not have a placement yet, but I am confident that the skills I have learned from the program so far will help me find one.
.
.
.

Good luck everyone and happy job hunting! 

Credit: https://tenor.com/view/shinegifs-gif-8555534


Comments

  1. This is so true. I have been searching for a placement for months and I felt like i just had the worst luck. Perseverance is key. I finally have an interview this week! Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog and the post is absolutely fantastic! Lot of information is helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more content…. great job, keep it up read more https://babylistlab.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment