140 Hours of Hands-On Experience


One of the main determinants as to why I chose the Public Relations Graduate Certificate at Mohawk College was its inclusion of a 140-hour placement. This factor appealed to me because it gave me a chance to garner some more hands-on experience in the actual working field while simultaneously applying my newfound knowledge of what I’m learning in the program. I wanted to jump at the opportunity early on and within a few weeks of school starting I got a placement at the Hamilton Public Library (HPL). From mid-September until now I have been going to their Central Library branch every Monday and Friday from 9-5.

Since joining the team, I have been able to apply my skills and knowledge to the various tasks that they assign me. It seemed like all the tasks I was given outside of school simultaneously corresponded with the lessons being learned in the classroom. As I learned how to write media releases, I was tasked to write them for the library. As I learned how to use the Meltwater platform, I found ways to incorporate it into the media lists and media coverage reports I had been doing as well. This goes to show how up to date the program is in relation to the actual work that a PR professional may be doing in the workplace.

In addition to working at the hub of the library, I have also been able to prepare and attend external events that the library hosted on other days or in the evenings. I was able to go to the LGBTQ+ archives launch and the Hawksley Workman concert. In addition, I was able to help prepare for the hosting of the 2019 PSPMF through the drafting of the sponsorship section of the guide, calling sponsors to confirm registration, preparing gift bags to be handed out, and making name tags, signs and volunteer buttons.

It is through these hands-on experiences that I am learning transferable skills that can be applied to any job that I may acquire in the future. Not only is it giving me a chance to improve my writing from a PR standpoint but also manage my time and priorities to accommodate many different tasks. Of course, it is a good reference to write on my resume, however the actual experiences I am receiving being in a communications environment are ones that extend beyond a piece of paper.




Comments