Agency Tour: Hill+Knowlton Strategies

By: Tara Chapman
On Wednesday, October 30th our public relations class had the opportunity to visit three agencies in downtown Toronto. While the weather may have been cold and rainy, our spirts were high as we glimpsed into what the future could look like for many of us after we graduate.

A Great Looking Bunch
Our first stop was at Hill+Knowlton Strategies, located on Bloor street alongside many other PR firms. The H+K team warmly welcomed us with a large spread of pastries and fruit alongside some caffeine to kickstart our day. Soon after we finished eating, our class congregated in the boardroom with four presenters from various departments at the agency. I really liked that they chose four professionals with completely different personalities and interests to discuss their perceptions towards working for an agency. I think this helps potential recruits make a connection with someone who may have similar interests to them.

One thing that really stuck with me after the presentation was the phrase "always in beta". My common perception has always been that PR agencies tend to hire young; but I've always wondered if new employees have the ability to express ideas early on in their employment or not. To me, a company who is "always in beta" is a company that looks to make continual improvements and seeks new and better ways to accomplish goals. I too am someone who loves learning new things and will look at the way I carry out certain tasks and wonder, "how could I be doing this better?" I would love to work for an agency that tries new ways of accomplishing tasks and puts aside traditional methods for the sake of continual improvement.

After our presentation, we were offered a complete office tour. They were the only stop on our trip that led us around their entire office which was very insightful. Although the office was mostly filled with cubicles and communal "break" rooms, it still had a cozy and inviting atmosphere. In my opinion, it was the most welcoming out of all the agencies we toured that day.

Although I still haven't made a definite decision regarding agency life, it was very informational to visit the Hill+Knowlton office. I definitely felt like I connected more with the corporate communications side of things, and would be interested in learning even more about the work Hill+Knowlton has done in the past.






Comments