CPRS Mentorship

Hi all!

The CPRS mentorship program has been such a valuable experience and I would recommend it to anyone. If you're interested keep reading:





So, the first night was a little intimidating. You're in a room of your peers and eight PR practitioners who all have a wealth of knowledge of the industry. Their careers and skills almost reminded me of Mad Men. After a brief meet and greet you 'speed date'. You speak to each mentor for 5 minutes about yourself, your goals, and public relations (of course). In this time, they also provide you their background information, their specialties and what they can do as your mentor. After meeting everyone, you write down your top three mentors and they write down their top three mentees and hopefully you get a match!

I was so excited to be matched with Mark Gregory. He was my top choice. He has years of experience in public relations and has worked all over Canada and currently even has a client in London, England. I was fortunate enough to meet with him for coffee and we sat for an hour and a half on Saturday and discuss what we want out of this mentorship. The thing I liked about this meeting was that it wasn't just all public relations. We did discuss opportunities, goals, projects, and he helped me with my resume but we were also able to speak about our personal lives such as the recent loss of my grandfather. I hope that this mentorship relationship lasts longer than the allotted time. One of our goals was to gain an actual friendship based on mutual interests which I find really cool. This program is more than a career building and networking opportunity, it is also a place to build relationships.

Comments