Public Relations Benefits in Content Creation


After graduating from Mohawk College’s Journalism program, back in 2018, knowing where to go next was a challenge. I had the skills I needed, but they didn’t feel as complete as I’d wished. I knew I could better my writing and editing skills further. That’s why I enrolled in the Public Relations Program.

As it turns out, I was right. While the Journalism program offered a wide variety of hands-on training, the Public Relations program helped turn me towards a career path that feels more like me.

Every week we’ve learned new ways of effectively communicating and enhancing our communication skills through different types of media. And along the way, I’ve discovered new ways to use the programs I’d been previously introduced to. The programs I used to use here-and-there started to seem completely different than they originally had. New features and ways of using them were at our disposal.
 
Example Editing Exercise Using Adobe Illustrator


Being able to use Adobe products and video editing systems before entering the program gave me the push to better my skills. Of course, it helps that I’ve been able to help a number of classmates understand the programs because of this. Thanks to our intro to graphic design class, I’ve discovered new ways around old problems. This has made creating things like visuals much easier.

As of now, my writing skills have also improved. Being able to translate my usual everyday writing style, into business quality content, makes everything seem clearer than before. Writing things like public relations strategies, and fundraising analytics are quite different from news stories and media updates.

That’s probably what I like best about this program. You learn ways of communication you probably wouldn’t learn in many other programs. The skills we learn here are effective tools of communication, and in the end, isn’t that what we all want to have while entering the business world?








Comments