IABC's Gift of Communication

IABC hosts an annual event called the ‘Gift of Communication’ in which select United Way agencies are offered a free private 3.5-hour session with IABC Communications Professionals and Mohawk College Public Relations Post Graduate Students.

Jan Graves spoke to our class in late September describing what the event entailed in hopes to get few student volunteers. I knew right away I wanted to participate so before she left the room, I sent her a message on LinkedIn expressing my interest for the event. As days passed it looked like we would have nearly our whole class participating!

In early November we were given a list of the agencies that would be participating in the event and tasked with choosing our top three. My top selection was the Elizabeth Fry Society, they are dedicated leaders who provide hope and help to women and girls at risk. Due to events over the course of my life this really hits home and is an area I am very passionate about.

We got an email midway through the month that told us what table we would be seated at and to my excitement I was placed at the Elizabeth Fry Society Table.  

To prepare myself for the event I did a mini communications audit of their social media pages and website so I would be able to participate in impactful conversation and help with a comprehensive plan to help with their issues of relevancy and updating.

Going into the event I was nervous, I’ve been going to CPRS events throughout the school year and have been gaining confidence while attending but this IABC event was new territory. Most of the CPRS events I have attended have been mingling with communicators, discussing my aspirations and receiving very helpful advice on how to take my career to the next level.  But this IABC event had a different feeling to it, I felt like there were high expectations of the students to put what they’ve learned throughout the year on display and make their Program Coordinator Tim Tuck proud. In some respects, I felt like the difference between the events I attended was theory-based learning with CPRS versus practical-learning with IABC’s event, granted I haven’t attended some of the more hands on events that CPRS has to offer.

I challenged myself to be an active participant at the table throughout the event, I lived up to it. I spoke up at times I would usually remain silent, I challenged opinions and trusted my abilities. Seemingly it left a positive impact as when selecting who would represent the table when summarizing their experience to the room, all eyes looked to me. I hate public speaking with a passion but once again challenged myself to do it. If I could rip the Band-Aid off now, it will get easier in the future. I planned a joke to lighten the mood, so I felt comfortable with the room in front of me and relayed our three takeaways from the event being: using consistent branding, connecting with Mohawk's Internship program and use of The Agency, as well as expanding the reach of their communications outside their usual audience.

Overall, I took a lot away from the event and met some amazing people from the Elizabeth Fry Society like Executive Director Deb Riddle, Board Member Leah Barclay and HR Manager and Communication Coordinator Caitlin Duffy. I look forward to working with them and members of IABC in the future.

Comments