Current Affairs In Media Relations- How Being Informed Will Get You Hired!



 Ding... Ding... As I watch my phone from various news sources I think back to a year ago where these stories that arrived were mere distractions from script reading or audition prep. Fast forward one year later and a firm foot in the Zoom platform with my professors, I cling to these notifications like a lifeline to share in class or potentially disseminate for an upcoming assignment. 

The point I am making here with this anecdote is that while news surfing may have been a casual experience before my turn into a PR professional, now it is essential in my being up to speed in the world and a potential notch above other candidates for a job. 

As many of our instructors have noted, being an informed person not only keeps you on the metaphorical world pulse, it can aid a lot when it comes to potential employment. Brushing up on current affairs ensures to someone looking at you that you're not only current but that you take initiative and the research skills required to be knowledgeable. 

These skills are an essential part of the core of a PR professional as you often start with small amounts of background information and create from this an image or a pitch to aid in developing a product, an individual, or an entire corporation (be it private or public). 

I have learned a lot from simply being wired into news services on my phone, so much so that it has even crossed into my personal life where truly stirring conversations have come from simply discussing the news of the day. More and more I realize, this is the field for me. 

Comments