Completing Internships as a Student and the Benefits They Have



Internships have many benefits for everyone but more specifically students and recent graduates. The “internship” part of your career is pivotal for success in my mind because this experience gives you insight into the real working world. This year I am completing an internship as part of my program requirements and so far I love it and think it has helped me so much already and I haven’t even been there for a month. The internship has helped me write more concisely and effectively with a professional tone, it has also shown me the working world isn’t that bad when you’re doing something you love. 


As a student, I know that finding and figuring out what internship or career path you want to take isn’t easy and can be frustrating. I feel that an internship helps ease those feelings and hopefully gain a sense of what your passions are. In my internship, I already knew what I wanted to do and what field I wanted to enter and I was very fortunate enough to find a placement. The placement I have is with the Hamilton Bulldogs Hockey Club in the Communications Department.


I love my internship because of all the hands-on experience I gained while working, this type of experience is one of the major benefits of an internship and this is one aspect everyone should be looking for when looking for internships. 



Some guidelines I have for anyone looking try and find something in the field you are interested in because 9/10 it will be unpaid and you don’t wanna do something you hate for free right? To find a placement you can ask your professor, friends, and family if they work in the field you are looking to pursue or simply by looking it up on google or job sites like Simply Hired and Indeed. Another tip I have is to make sure you state boundaries and let the employer know when you need help and if you are unsure of anything because they are there to help you and only want you to succeed. 


I feel that everyone should entertain an internship at least one time in their life because it is the entryway into the real-life version of what you want to do in your career and this is the best way to gain experience while looking for an experience you need for a real job and if you are lucky enough you could gain a paid position for the company you interned for. 







link for image: https://www.businessstudent.com/careers/what-are-the-benefits-of-an-internship/

https://www.bestcolleges.com/blog/how-to-land-business-internship/



Comments