Public Relations and the Fashion Industry

Growing up I always loved fashion and styling. I often enjoyed styling different pieces together for my mom and myself. Throughout high school, I knew I wanted to do something in the fashion industry but I also wasn't 100 percent sure if there was another field of study that I would love as well. At first, I wanted to be a buyer, but I knew it came with little to no money at all. Eventually, I came up with my plan. I would study a Bachelor of Arts - General at Wilfrid Laurier University and then go from there to see what I liked or if I still was set on anything within the fashion industry. 

Throughout university, I enjoyed my classes, friends and time there. But overall, I did lose my initial desire to go into the fashion industry. Many people tell you that your plans for the future could change while you are in university, and I completely understand what they mean now. Going into second year, I wanted to switch into psychology and eventually get a post graduate degree in therapy. Thankfully for me, this didn't end up working out so I switched my plan and would go into studying Public Relations after university. 

Fast forward and its September 2022, after a year of being undecided, I am finally in the Mohawk Public Relations post graduate program. I am unsure what I like about public relations but I tell myself, that is exactly what you came here for, to figure it out. Although I had my plan in my head, I was still opened to new ideas and the possibility there could be other areas of PR that I would be interested in. 

Throughout the courses and semester, I realized what I liked of Public Relations and what I wasn't really interested in, it wasn't until this semester came along where I realized that the fashion industry is 100 percent where I want to take my public relation skills and apply them. Throughout the blogging assignment, I had posted 'About Me' and I truly thought long and hard about what I liked. I felt a little lost at the beginning of September, but this first initial blog post of who I am made me sit down and think about everything I love. I love fashion, design, health and wellness, styling and social media. When I come up with a new outfit in my head, I get so excited. My last blog post I decided to write about fashion, I had previously written about the rap industry and the CallHerDaddy abortion documentary episode. 

While I was writing about my love for fashion, I came up with an idea about how I can include public relations, fashion and social media all in one. I came up with starting an Instgram account for looks I create on my free time. I will be reaching out and trying my best to get a co-op within the fashion industry but even if I don't, I will be applying to all fashion industry public relation jobs after I graduate. I am determined to get my foot in the door somewhere in the industry with the expectations to move up. My ideal and dream job as of right now would to be public relations director for Aritzia. I will put all my focus into applying for different companies and retailers, big and small names as long as I can work myself up to where I want to be in life. 








Comments