The Strength of Social Media


Starting my field placement with Collective Arts Brewing in Hamilton, I knew social media would be a huge aspect within my role. What I didn’t realise was the vast amount of information I would soon have access to, and be largely responsible for cataloguing.
With a folder full every Instagram story or post created mentioning Collective Arts, I began to tie what we had been learning in the first semester of classes to the real world. While a huge part of PR is creating the face of a business, an equally large part of PR is analysing who is engaging, and what they are saying. Pretty well every consumer has access to social media, and given the rise of social media marketing before and during the pandemic, it is now more important than ever to understand what works for your audience, and what doesn’t, on social media. With a click of a button, a company's message can be understood, changed, or ignored, and it is essential to stay up to date with audience opinions.
Even though social media is a standard part of most people’s days, before starting this program, I didn’t realise just how much companies relied on that data to track the success of campaigns and their presence in general.
For the remainder of my placement, I hope to gain a deeper understanding of how social media metrics are collected, used, and analysed, in order to ensure I am able to use this information in the most effective way possible.

Comments