Agency Tour (Maverick)

It feels like stepping into the world of boundless possibilities since I decided to enroll in Mohawk College's Public Relations - Corporate Communications program. Entering this industry fills me with both excitement and uncertainty about what to expect. Surprisingly, the journey that is unfolding has proven to be a life-changing experience for me. While the classroom setting contributes to my growth, I realized the importance of gaining professional work experience. 

Our professor introduced us to the idea of a field trip, during which we visited three PR agencies. The trip started at Birchall & Associates and continued through the halls of NATIONAL Public Relations. I was unaware of what awaited me, but as they say, the best was saved for last.


Upon entering Maverick, I received a warm greeting, and getting to know everyone, especially Julie, was delightful. While I had learned the fundamentals of working in a professional environment at previous agencies, Maverick taught me the art of making work enjoyable. I gained insights into diverse customers (whether small or big brands), their unique needs, and the variety of experiences that come with them. Research also plays an essential part in this field, and to excel, one must master platforms like LinkedIn and Meltwater. Also, being diligent and completing assignments can help in all future jobs.


Building on my experiences, I gained deep insight into the working style of the agency. Maverick offers services such as media management, crisis and issue management, and product launches in sectors like food and beverages, health and wellness, finance, and more. Their unique and creative approach to working with clients was another aspect that caught my interest. Maverick's innovative idea of conducting a pizza survey during Valentine's Week to present a new pricing plan for the Little Caesars brand stood out to me. No wonder they named it Maverick; they truly embodied the name by adopting a non-traditional, innovative, and rebellious approach to their work. I even learned about their secret recipe for mastering PR agency life.


At the end of the day, one significant observation from the agency visits was that, while they execute similar tasks and use similar technology, what sets them apart is their unique style, originality, and approach. The enjoyable trip with classmates and our professor, along with the fruitful experiential learning, became a memorable experience for me. 

Comments