Communications Audit Project Reflection

 

During our first semester of the Public Relations - Corporate Communications program at Mohawk, we were introduced to a client project. This project involved auditing the entirety of our client's communication initiatives in order to establish communications goals and objectives, identify communications strengths and weaknesses, and identify areas which require activity.

I had the privilege of being part of the team collaborating with the John Howard Society of Hamilton, Burlington and Area (JHSHBA). Prior to undertaking this project, and despite being a Hamilton native, I was unaware of the JHSHBA. In case you are in the same boat as I was, allow me to provide you with some background. JHSHBA is a non-profit organization that is passionately committed to delivering community services to individuals involved or at risk of involvement with the criminal justice system. Established in 1949, the Hamilton location has been operating with a focused approach to a diverse range of prevention, intervention, and reintegration services for both youth and adults. Specific programs focus on areas such as anger management and intimate partner violence.

During my undergraduate program, I had the opportunity to partake in numerous group projects. However, none matched the hands-on nature or the ability to simulate the real-world dynamics of working with a client like this project. I really enjoyed the opportunity to have such responsibility, while offering a glimpse into the trajectory of my career post-graduation. The project provided an opportunity for me to enhance not only my collaboration and communication skills but also acquire new ones. I developed a sense of confidence in the ability to thoroughly examine all aspects of a communication channel/activity. I was also able to explore my research abilities through a range of methods, including surveying the general public, conducting interviews with staff and industry professionals, and creating a focus group with participants of the JHSHBA programs.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my first group project of the year, as well as my first client project. I think it's great that the Public Relations - Corporate Communications program provides such valuable opportunities, allowing students to gain practical work experience for their resumes as they transition into the workforce post-graduation. This approach sets students up for success beyond the program, and I will be looking forward to the learning and opportunities to grow that future client projects will undoubtedly bring!




Comments