CPRS Mentorship Experience!



A little PSA:
I wish this blog post was due next Tuesday! Tomorrow is the Holiday Humbug Social hosted by CPRS Hamilton and I am so excited to be attending. I truly think that this will be the event of the year (and I would have so much more to write about).

Towards the beginning of the school year, our class was visited by the Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS). Committee member, Megan McGinnis, provided our class with a short overview of the CPRS organization, explaining what they do and how the organization can benefit young public relations professionals. In her presentation, Megan introduced to the CPRS Mentorship program. The mentorship program helps individuals entering the public relations industry to gain knowledge and insights from working professionals. This automatically caught my interest. As a young professional soon to be entering the workforce, I will accept any help I can get!

I was convinced. The next day I decided to apply. I signed up with the CPRS Hamilton Branch and filled out my application in hopes of being selected for the mentorship program. Thankfully, I heard back a couple weeks later with good news! Since beginning the program, I have attended the orientation night, met my fellow mentees, and began working with my mentor, Linneah Tovstiga.

Linneah has been incredibly open and has helped me set goals for our time together. Her knowledge of the industry has been insightful, and I have been able to ask her any questions I have regarding public relations and communications. Two goals that I have set for myself are to narrow down which industry or path I would like to work in upon graduation, and to better understand the qualities that employers in this industry look for. Additionally, Linneah is helping me with networking and has offered to connect me to people she knows who are working for companies/organizations that I am interested in. I am beyond grateful for her help, and I am so excited to learn more. It is still early but I look forward to continuing the CPRS Mentorship program.

Comments