When they said experiential learning, they meant it!


There is an unfortunate reality check some international students experience after completing an undergraduate study in their home countries. This incites a desire for a better educational experience. It is the sense of having so much information and not knowing how to apply it to real-life situations.
 

 

After much hustle in a first real job, it suddenly dawns on us how unprepared we are for the world after school. Four, five, six, or more years pursuing a bachelor’s degree only to complete our studies with much information and little apt for application.

 

It therefore remains a continual surprise to me looking at the wealth of practical studies I have been engaged in in the Public Relations - Corporate Communications program at Mohawk College. As Tim Tuck, the program coordinator, usually says, “This program is meant to equip you with the skills to land your first PR entry-level job right after school.”

 

Despite being a short 8-month affair, the program is infused with intense and diverse training. It is only the end of the first semester, and I already feel confident in the real competencies I have been equipped with in this program to apply for jobs in the PR industry. I have been trained practically in media relations, program planning, graphic designing, social media, and digital communication among others. I have been introduced to platforms like Meltwater, Cision, Hootsuite, Google Analytics, Meta Business Suite, and modern PR tools that give me a competitive advantage in the job market.

 

I have had the opportunity to work collaboratively on communications projects with a real organization in the community through the Agency, exposing me to real client needs and the impact of strategic Public Relations on organizations.

 

I have the opportunity of picking the brains and being mentored by top industry professionals in a Public Relations field placement, an experience and exposure that makes the classroom sessions even more meaningful. I get to bring the knowledge I have acquired over these few months on board, to complete meaningful PR projects in the organization where I am interning. This makes it easier for me to understand and absorb the concepts taught in class.

 

As a bonus, I have been trained subconsciously in time management through juggling multiple projects, deadlines, and a field placement in this program. This makes me confident in my trained ability to handle the pressures and demands of a career in PR.

 

On our way back from a field trip organized by the program, I was in conversation with an international student classmate and our program coordinator, reminiscing about the impact of the day on us as international students. It dawned on me how accessible members of the faculty are at Mohawk College and their sensitivity to the diversity in the student community, creating an engaging and welcoming environment for smooth teaching and learning. This quality aids understanding, and this is important to most international students. 

 

In less than four months I have been thoroughly trained and I am excited to experience who I will be by the end of this program and the endless prospects open to me as a result.




Comments