Public Relations and Ethics: Remember, "No Comment" IS a Comment!


For me, one of the most interesting class discussions we have had in the Public Relations program this year so far was one on ethics. Our instructor emphasized to us how extremely important it is to achieve trust and maintain credibility, especially when it comes to dealing with the media. I think in the public relations industry it can be really tempting to allow yourself to be led astray, but my instructor has done a really excellent job of teaching us the value of being a public relations practitioner with dignity.

I have learnt that it is really, really important to be completely honest in all of your dealings. Interestingly, I have also learnt how damaging it can be to respond to the media with a "no comment." In the public relations industry, it is imperative to avoid "no comment," as this is seen as being evasive. Our instructor told us to ALWAYS provide reasons for why you can't tell the media something.

After our lesson on ethics, I feel really confident about going out into the big bad world one day and being a communications person who is credible, honest and trustworthy. I now have a great understanding of why this is so essential to being successful in this business. Everything that we have learnt about ethics so far is certainly something that will stick with me for life.

Comments

  1. Pretty good post. I just came across your site and wanted to say that I have truly loved reading through your blog posts. Any ways I’m going to be subscribing for your feed and I hope you post again soon.
    Branding Strategy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your website perfect for my needs. It contains wonderful and helpful posts. I have read most of them and learned a lot from them.
    Regards,
    Indian Advertising Agencies in UK
    MCIPL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Public relation industry is developing a lot now a days as mostly all the business owners are depended on this method to promote their products or service to their customers.
    Public Relations Companies In Miami

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment