Kristen Coppolino Interview: Why Mohawk PR


Back in June when I was deciding whether or not if I wanted to go back to school, I was sitting in my friend Marie’s basement hanging out with her friend, Krissy.

We were gathered on the couch, playing Nintendo. Catching up on life, and picking at each others’ brains.

“I think I am going to go back to school,” I blurted out to the room. I felt like I had to get something off my chest.

“Yeah? For what?” Marie asked me.  I know whatever I said to her she would have my support.

“I was thinking of Public Relations, just not sure where.” I replied.

“Oh! Krissy went to Mohawk for that! She can tell you all about it.” Marie exclaimed in excitement.

So, Kristen Coppolino a Mohawk PR graduate student, started raving to me about the PR program at Mohawk. She told me how great the program was at Mohawk, how much she learned from it, and how great the staff are there.  She said I would enjoy the program, and that I should go there. That talk with Krissy really stuck with me, and helped me make a decision on going back to school.

Fast-forward to now, I am currently taking Public Relations at Mohawk, and trying to decide on a topic to write for the class PR blog. I want it to be inspiring, like how I was inspired to go to school at Mohawk. Then it hit me, I should interview the person who encouraged me to choose Mohawk.

Back at Marie’s house, Krissy, Marie, and I are sipping over tea, as I casually interview Krissy about her experience at Mohawk, and what she is doing now with her certificate.



She graduated from Mohawk in 2012, and is now working for a online company located in Ancaster, called Smart Resolution. She does the company’s Twitter, Facebook, Blog, and does writing for the company’s website.

Krissy said one of the most memorable projects of that year, was one you had to tell a story. She had the classmate with the famous Twitter presentation, were he Tweeted his entire project to Tim in 140 tweets. She had a lot of fun with her assignment, she did it all on paint, with having her dog tell a story about her.

I asked her if there was any advice to give to a PR student such as myself. The advice she passed onto me was to find my niche and follow that! Your work would be much more fun and enjoyable to be doing something that you have a passion for. To have fun with the projects, and to be creative with them. Krissy told me to go to information interviews, they are a great opportunity and good way to connect with people. The best way connections are sometimes made at random; how she got her job was through volunteering.

I can take a lot away from my talks with Kristen Coppolino. I always knew I wanted to get into Public Relations, after Krissy raving about Mohawk, I knew I found my fit. With the advice she passed onto me, I hope others can use it as well.  

Comments