Where will the PR path lead you?

For a long time, I didn’t quite understand what public relations was; I would always take parts of the PR field and break it apart. Until I started the public relations this past fall, I didn’t realize just how many components made up public relations. I suddenly realized that I had been interested in public relations for most of my life without even realizing it.

I had always had a hard time establishing “one thing” I wanted to pursue because there were just too many things I was interested in. I love social media, marketing, writing, creating graphic designs, video and so much more. Now, having a term that I could reference to explain what career I wanted to pursue, I started to look deeper into what career paths I could take.

I was somewhat aware that there was always the corporate versus non-profit paths, but I wasn’t aware of the different realms within those paths. Public relations can be broken down further into specific career choices, like crisis management, planning fundraisers, or even strictly social media. I became even more encapsulated with the career and the many paths it has to offer.


Not only does PR provide a variety of options, but there are so many options to consider for where you end up working. Public relations allow you to follow a company or organization in which you are already passionate about. If you are interested in medicine, you could potentially work for a doctor, or Doctors Without Borders, or for a pharmaceutical company. If you are interested in animals, you could work for a vet, the SPCA, or the World Wildlife Foundation. Or if you are like me and love aviation, you could work for an airline, a flight school or one of the professional pilot’s association.

Ultimately the list of possibilities is endless, which is what I find so interesting about this career. There are so many paths to choose, and if you can’t choose one thing you are passionate about, you can consider agency life. Agency life allows you to work on behalf of a variety of clients and potentially work with companies like Banana Boat sunscreen to Under Armour all in a day’s work.


Public relations if a great career to consider if you are someone who has too many passions and simply can’t decide on one specific path. It is also a great career choice if you have strong passions and would love the opportunity to combine your passion(s) with your career. Public relations can take you anywhere and doing anything. Public relations provides you with the flexibility to work all over the world, or even right from your couch doing freelance work. Public relations knows no boundaries and can lead you to anywhere you want to go. I am glad to say I have finally found a career path in which I am excited to be a part of and can’t wait to see where my career path takes me. 

PR: Anywhere, anyhow, anytime.

Comments